Re: [TowerTalk] Flag Antenna Transformer

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Flag Antenna Transformer
From: Tony Brock-Fisher <barockteer@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 20:57:36 -0500 (EST)
After asking the original question and then watching this thread go astray I
guess it's time to try to bring it back to my original question. I am fully
aware of the various techniques to make a transmission line transformer;
however these are recommended against for the Flag antenna due to excessive
capacitive coupling from primary to secondary allowing common mode coupling
from the coax shield.

I was following a common recipe for a Flag transformer which uses the
opposite-side winding configuration to reduce capacitance between windings.
However, what I measure is nothing like what one would expect, indicating the
transformer is not properly matching the impedance ratio.

Can anyone else reproduce or dispute my results with this type of
commonly-recommended Flag matching transformer? I know there are many ways to
skin a cat. I'm trying to figure out if this emporer has any clothes or not...

-Tony, K1KP