Re: [TowerTalk] Hi-Z Antenna Stuff

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hi-Z Antenna Stuff
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:58:20 -0800
On 2/7/12 2:06 PM, Jack/W6NF wrote:

> Okay...if the technical aspects of a product is well-known, and not
> patentable in and of itself, then only the specifics of production and
> packaging are part of the protection of the patent.

That's only one kind of patent (a method patent).

You can also have a patent on the arrangement and function of the
pieces. That's the usual kind of patent.

And also (although weaker) a "design patent" Those have a D at the
beginning of the number and are used for things with a unique design in
the "art" sense.  Fabric patterns or a particular design for a fork
would be subject to design patents.
Design patents are trivial to design around, because you can change one
small thing.

  I've heard about a
> pharmaceutical company that attempted to patent a medication on the
> basis of alterations in capsule shape and color. I don't believe that
> got very far.

They could attempt trademark (see, e.g. Christian Laboutin shoes and
their red soles)
Or they could go for "design patent"... our pill has a particular plaid
paint job.