Re: [TowerTalk] ground plates (was DXE Patents)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground plates (was DXE Patents)
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:53:33 -0500
On 2/10/2012 11:39 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 2/10/12 8:23 AM, Ken wrote:
>> On Feb 8, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Frank wrote:
>>
>>> That is an interesting observation.  Also interesting is the fact that
>>> the lug is copper.  Unless the plate is also copper this whole setup is
>>> doomed to failure from galvanic action.
>>
>> I have often wondered about that.   Is stainless exempt from dissimilar
>> metal galvanic action?
>>
>> Why not just use copper (with brass machine screws, nuts and washers)?   Are
>> there any drawbacks to that?
>
> Copper is expensive and difficult to machine?
>
> That said, you can get nice copper bus bars with holes predrilled and
> set screws, fairly inexpensively (considering they're made of copper).
Around here the soil is acetic unless it's had a lot of lime on it so we
tend to place Copper or Aluminum an inch or two above the ground. It
probably wouldn't matter in most places. Aluminum, copper, SS, plate or
bar stock work fine.  Bar stock can be bolted, welded, brazed, silver
soldered, or just soldered (depending on the metal) with one or two rows
of threaded holes drilled around the periphery

For those that think copper is difficult to thread of machine, try a
good grade of SS.  That stuff can be terrible.  Neither are bad (not
bad, but not great either) with a good grade of cutting fluid.

I use a grease or never seeze on the connections. As long as the threads
and connections are protected just plain old grease works.

73

Roger (K8RI)