Re: [TowerTalk] ground plates (was DXE Patents)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground plates (was DXE Patents)
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:53:59 -0500
On 2/10/2012 1:55 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 2/10/2012 10:27 AM, James C. Hall, MD wrote:
>> Interesting - what about using copper split bolts on that ring of 1-0 copper
>> ? No soldering. Multiple radials under one bolt, too.
> I LOVE copper split-bolts, and use them extensively with my wire
> antennas. I use them for making connections, for securing the ends of
> the wires at center insulators and end insulators, and for holding
> insulating spacers in place on fan dipoles.  I buy them by the box. The
> best price I've seen by far was from a cable TV parts supplier.
I can't say as I have "that kind of relationship" with them, <:-)) but
they work very will in many instances for many things.
I use them for attaching the dipoles to the coax, fan spreaders like Jim
does, and of course, grounds in the station and outside.

One nice thing about the split nuts is you don't have to worry about the
solder causing a rigid joint that breaks with much movement.

There are two problems with spade lugs.  Corrosion inside if you don't
solder them and the wires tend to break at the solder joint if you do.

73

Roger (K8RI)