To: "KJ0M, Jim" <kj0m@goldenwest.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 110, Issue 47
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:15:52 -0500
Bruce-
You might want to consider that there are other ways than running guys
straight out to anchors to guy a tower. Take a look at sailboat masts.
These are obviously special cases and would need some serious engineering to
determine where, how long, and how strong to make the "spreaders" and
cables, how to guy the lower portion of the tower, etc..  But, it can be
done for substantial loads with relatively small guy fields. It's the old
bit about using brain instead of brawn.Then when you get all done paying for
the engineering and material you would probably find it would have cost less
to sell your 25  and buy some 45 or even 55,or taper from 25 to 45 to 55, or
buy a Trylon, or...... Another case of "there are lots of ways to skin a
cat" but "there's no free lunch".
Gene / W2LU