Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for loops inside shack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for loops inside shack
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:17:05 -0500
On 2/21/2012 5:27 PM, Gene Fuller wrote:
> How much power/SWR will RG-8X  handle ?
> Gene / W2LU

I don't know what it's rated at but I've used it to feed the legal limit
to a 40 meter sloper with a 1.2:1 SWR.  It will not handle a higher SWR
than that at least on 40.  I've not been able to keep RG8X or CNT-240
working with the legal limit on 75.

In the station, I use what ever is handy which is usually spare LMR 400
UF or 600 UF.  It's no where near as flexible as 8X, but works very well
(indoors)
I say "spare" and I have quite a bit since I found the UF versions to be
very poor for use outdoors.  It's the most flexible for its size, but
the jacket is not UV resistant, it tends to catch on "things", you can
easily pull the jacket loose, and it abrades easily.  After about 6
years, I had bare braid showing where the rotator loop moved on the
tower top plate.  For its size Davis BuryFlex(TM) is probably the most
rugged cable while it's still quite flexible.

73

Roger (K8RI)