Re: [TowerTalk] Romex for Rotor cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Romex for Rotor cable
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 18:45:54 -0500
On 3/2/2012 11:59 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 3/2/2012 4:33 AM, K1TTT wrote:
>> First, for any reasonable rotor you don't need 8 conductors that big.  Run
>> one 14-2 or 12-2 with ground to power the motor and use something cheaper
>> and easier to work with for the indicator circuits.
> You're right, of course, David.  BUT -- 14-3 is pretty cheap, simply
> because it's sold in quantity, and is sufficiently robust to hold up
> better than smaller stuff that is readily available to consumers.  If I
> had access to the range of cables that a sound contractor would, I'd
> probably do something different. :)

This is not a recommendation for some one else, but:
Were it me (and it's not), I'd not worry about Romex in conduit.  I
would seal the house/shack end with enough foam to prevent fumes from
entering the shack though. I'd definately keep the Romex in a different
conduit than any other wires though unless it's low voltage.  My rotator
runs on 110VAC.
If it's in conduit (PVC or steel) and it eventually shorts from water
ingress, it'll likely blow the breaker or burn a hole in the PVC
conduit.  As long as the chance of fire is nil.

73

Roger (K8RI)