Re: [TowerTalk] Where to get HFTA Software

To: Mark Robinson <markrob@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Where to get HFTA Software
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 10:00:37 -0700
You've just seen a parade of people confirming the general usefulness of
this application and the fact that there isn't ANYTHING else out there
that even tries to do what it does, and you think it's an "overrated"
and "half-baked" program that's "a waste of time"?   Seriously??

HFTA itself is almost trivial to use and the only difficult part is
generating the terrain files for your specific location.  The more or
less automated way of doing that with peripheral applications like
Microdem is indeed fairly complex and intimidating, but you don't need
to go that route to get your terrain files.

The terrain files (the ones with the .pro file extension) for HFTA are
in about the simplest text format you could imagine.  Open one of them
with any text editor (was that really so difficult to figure out?) and
you'll see what I mean.  The files have a left hand column for distance
from the tower base and a right hand column for height relative to the
tower base.  That's all ... no column headers, no restrictions on choice
of distances, and no practical limit to the number of data pairs.  A
brief sample of a terrain file showing a slight mound in front of a
tower and then a gradual decline beyond that might look like this:

0  150
20  155
50  160
100  165
200  165
300  165
400  160
500  155
1000  150
2000  145
3000  140
etc

If you have the patience you can draw a line on Google Earth and
manually pick the numbers directly from that to load into any text
editor.  A bit tedious, but simple and effective.  I've done it myself,
although I generally find it quicker to manually pull the numbers from
the terrain profile that DeLorme's 3D Topo software generates.  I've
used HFTA a lot, both for my QTH and for a few friends, and I've never
used Microdem.  I don't bother to generate files every five degrees
azimuth or anything like that.   I just pick the key locations I want to
hit (Europe, Japan, Central Asia, South America, Central Africa, etc)
and even in the mountainous terrain around my QTH about six or eight
terrain files suffice to tell me what I want to know.

Dave   AB7E