[TowerTalk] Motor for HDX-555 Advice

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Motor for HDX-555 Advice
From: Richard Zalewski <dick.w7zr@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 13:25:29 -0700
 I have been looking for a 110v winch for my HDX555 tower.  In the past I
have used a similar Dutton-Lainson for my MA-550 tower with no problems at
all.

The unit I am considering is the SA9015AC without a clutch.  Below are the
specs for this winch.  I know winches are for pulling and hoists are for
lifting.  However, in the D-L catalog they do mention that the unit without
the clutch is suitable for vertical lifting.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this winch.  Price range is mid $400.

120 Volt Electric Winch with factory-installed remote control (hand held
switch pendant with 10 foot cord) has 10 foot, 3 wire grounded power cord.
2700 lb capacity. Power in, power out, controlled freewheeling clutch, and
automatic brake. Comes loaded with 25 ft of 7/32 aircraft cable. Emergency
crank handle also included in case of power loss. For applications, with
access to AC power: Boat lifts; Boat davits; Frame-straightening machines
(to pull disabled vehicles up onto machine); Light towers; Marine railway
systems; Greenhouse ventilation systems; Aircraft hangars (to pull small
aircraft in and out); Opening/closing large horizontal sliding doors; Dumb
waiters; General material handling applications. What makes StrongArm®
electric winches different? Design: -is more compact, allowing it to fit
into tight spaces. -is safer, as cable is enclosed inside the cover. On
open-reel models, fingers can get caught in cable as it’s reeled in, and
any frayed strands can cause cuts. -protects cable, so it’s not exposed to
the elements, which accelerates wear and rusting. Unique features: -Clutch
release. User can pay out load in neutral and still control it with clutch
mechanism. -Spur gear system vs. planetary gears. A planetary gear system
generates much more heat, and draws more amps from the power source.
Because the motor and gears are attached directly to the spool, the heat
build-up from running the winch transfers directly to the drum and cable.
In contrast, the StrongArm winch’s spur gear system is much more efficient,
it gives off less heat and draws fewer amps. NOTE: THIS WINCH IS BUILT FOR
HORIZONTAL PULLING. FOR VERTICAL LIFTING APPLICATIONS, WE RECOMMEND
ORDERING A WINCH WITH NO CLUTCH INSTALLED. PRICE IS THE SAME. .

   Approximate Load Speed (ft./min.) Model(1) Volts / Amps Load
Capacity(3) Gear
Ratio Cable Pulley
Block
& Hook No Load
Full Reel No Load
Empty Reel Full Load
Full Reel Full Load
Empty Reel                                   SA9000AC & SA9015AC 120 Volt
AC / 8 2700 lb/1226 kg 570:01:00 "7/32"" x 25' (6361)" 18 6 7 3       SA12000AC
& SA12015AC 120 Volt AC / 8 4000 lb/1816 kg 570:01:00 "7/32"" x 50' (6212)"
X 9 3 4 2   --
Tnx es 73
Richard W7ZR
www.w7zr.com

*Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer*