To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 111, Issue 30
From: Kelley <kshaddrick@jetup.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:49:41 -0500
As I mentioned in my post, the antennas listed are what I would LIKE to
put up. They are not up on the 48' HDBX as I know it won't support it.
No warning required.

The tower currently has an Cushcraft A3S with a 40m add-on, a 3 element
6m beam, and a 2m/440 vertical. It has thus far withstood multiple 85+
mph wind storms without issue.

I am looking for a more robust tower, still in the 48' range, that can
use the same mounting as the HDBX tower. Is there such a thing?

On 3/12/2012 7:10 PM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> >  I currently have a Rohn HDBX 48' tower. While the tower has a pretty
> good wind load rating, 18 sq ft at 3' above the tower, Rohn limits the
> boom length to 10'.
>
> >  I would like to put up a 2 element 40m beam as well as a 3 or 4
> element
> 10/15/20 meter beam with a VHF/UHF vertical on top. Wind load wise this
> may not exceed the load rating of the HDBX, but I'm pretty sure it
> wouldn't be recommended as boom lengths are a lot more than 10'.
>
> >  Is there a tower available that has the same base measurements as a
> HDBX
> that could handle such a configuration? With all the concrete in the
> ground, I'd like to use it.
> Howdy --
>     Are you W0RK? There wasn't any callsign in your email. If so
> you're listed as being in Stearns County, MN - an 80 MPH windspeed
> zone. You'd be really pushing your luck with the proposed antenna
> array. The BX et al. are towers for TV antennas. They're light- to
> medium-duty depending on the configuration. The sections are held
> together by aluminum rivets so they won't take much stress - that's
> why there's the 10' boom length warning. Consider yourself warned.
>     Sell it and get a real tower. Or keep your homeowner's insurance
> paid up for when the catastrophe happens.
> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC
> TOWER TECH -
> Professional tower services for amateurs
> Cell: 206-890-4188

-- Kelley - WØRK