Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Solutions for Tower Base in Fresh Water?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Solutions for Tower Base in Fresh Water?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:57:59 -0700
On 3/19/12 6:49 AM, Larry Libsch wrote:
> Group -
>
>           The tower is self standing,  adding to the difficulties. Thanks
> for much good advice from many respondents. Sounds like we need to do
> some serious rethinking.

Freestanding, unguyed..

Then you're all set.  Assuming you talk to an Engineer with some local
experience, it's mostly a matter of building a suitable base that can
take the overturning moment.  Since other people put up tall towers
around you, there's clearly sufficient engineering knowledge potentially
available.

The base will probably be bigger than the one in the mfr plans, just
because the "bearing strength" of your soil might be less.  On the other
hand, just because your soil is wet doesn't mean it's less strong (for
instance, imagine a bed of packed gravel.. it could be quite a bit
stronger than soft squishy wet silt)

Clearly, though, you need to get some local expertise.. (ARRL has
Volunteer Consulting Engineers.. maybe there's one in your area?.. or
you can find someone to do the job for a fairly small sum)