Re: [TowerTalk] original source of "avoid sharp bends" in lightning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] original source of "avoid sharp bends" in lightning
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:43:35 -0500 (CDT)
you have to remember that its not just the impedance, its the travel time to
ground compared to the risetime of the lightning stroke.
So if there is a bend that isn't too far from some other structure but it is
still far enough above the ground so the air can break down
before the wave travels to the ground and reflects back up to the height of the
bend you can get side flashovers even if the ground is very good.
This could be a common condition say where the lightning lead from the top of a
2 story house bends at the corner of the roof to
go down the side and there is a tree branch nearby... it would be very likely
you could flashover to the branch before the current gets
to the ground and back up.

that is another part to remember, its always double the travel time... the
voltage at a point above ground won't start to drop until the
current gets to the ground and the reflection travels back up... this is of
course assuming that the impedance of the ground is less
than the characteristic or surge impedance of the structure.  lightning is fun
stuff, but only if you can handle the time factor and understand
that a conductor can have very different voltages and currents from point to
point.