Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: [CQ-Contest] Amplifier repair warning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: [CQ-Contest] Amplifier repair warning
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 21:04:47 -0400
On 4/13/2012 2:50 PM, Bob Ad5vj wrote:
> For your viewing and contemplation.
>
> tnx Bob AD5VJ
>

> Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G

Although it's a good idea to always keep the covers on it's not always
possible

> It is NEVER necessary to run an amplifier with the cover off,

Unfortunately that is not true. If you have a modern amp it is often
necessary to have the covers off to set the bias, screen voltage and EBS
among other things.
That means to position yourself so you do not reach over any HV
circuits. If necessary lay a piece of clear plastic over the PS and
particularly the HV circuits.

I have several amps here that I'd never be able to set any of the above
with the covers still in place. If a tube has to be replaced you have to
do the whole thing again.

>   and especially
> HV on, to check things. Anyone advising defeating an interlock, or powering
> up a tube-type amplifier with the cover off and HV exposed, it is a fool.

We used to have to do that with amps running several hundred KW that
were running well over 10KV
It takes training, it takes care, it takes procedures, and it takes
working with some one. We were not allowed to work alone on the big stuff.

73

Roger (K8RI)