Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:05:02 +0100
Jim,

I'm not advocating bead chokes; I fully appreciate the benefits of "N^2"
on a toroid core and the ability to put the SRF somewhere useful because
of the increased stray capacitance. Rather, I am trying to understand
why you would label a choke "And it's _Inductive!_ (Bad)", whose
Resistive component is greater than its Reactive component over the
large majority of the HF spectrum.

On a separate topic - one where I think we could agree - I recently made
measurements on my ladderline-fed doublet to determine its 3-terminal
equivalent circuit. This is a doublet which is supposedly balanced:
equal length legs; ladderline coming away at right angles etc. On 80m
the 3-terminal Star network equivalent turned out to be:

Z1 = 15 - j70
Z2 = 1.6 - j109
Z3 = 31 +j110

Compare those figures with a completely balanced and floating load,
where Z1=Z2 and Z3=Infinity, and it's clear why we need to consider a
choke even on a nominally "balanced" antenna.

73,
Steve G3TXQ