Re: [TowerTalk] Low Pass Filters: Are They Of Any Use Today ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Low Pass Filters: Are They Of Any Use Today ?
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:50:07 -0400
This topic is far a field from towers and antennas
except a low pass filter still controls fundamental overload of TV sets on
an antenna/digital converter.

If you really want to get high def TV you must use OTA.  My neighbor has a
fairly recent TV with
rabbit ears and pre-amp.  Running my 8877 on 10
working DX in the far Pacific last fall I got a call from my neighbor.  Upon
investigation we had several problems.  Putting the big bencher in line
solved the overload problem without the pre-amp on.  The second was turning
on the pre-amp still did not solve the tiling problem and here came the
overload even with the filter.   I found a web page for some good outside
antennas made for digital TV's.  I gave them an old Radio shack mast and
bracket and some TV cable coax.  This solved both the tiling and the
overload problem.

I plan to add another low pass to the back of my new Ameritron amp, too.

73 Dave K4JRB