Re: [TowerTalk] 80' insulated mast

To: "Alex Malyava" <alex.k2bb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80' insulated mast
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:19:32 -0700
Alex Malyava wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to build an antenna for a Field Day or any other occasion, like
> going far away from my noisy house and enjoying low bands.
> The antenna I have in mind is 3 element delta loops for 80m band.

If the loops are horizontally polarized, you don't need a
non conducting mast.  If they are vertically polarized, you merely
need to insulate the mast from ground; no significant current
will flow in an 80 foot floating mast.  You also need a choke
in the coax at the ground.

No plastic will go 80 feet.  Aluminum irrigation pipe will go
80 feet, but is too flimsy to support 3 delta loops.  You need
a real tower.

Rick N6RK