Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 112, Issue 82 - Boots

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 112, Issue 82 - Boots
From: Harvey KM4JA <km4ja@troycable.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:55:24 -0500
I had bought a pair of boots at the local Red Chinese sales emporium
(Wal-Mart) years ago with a steel shank and used them for tower
climbing.  They have gotten so worn out I had to replace them but
Wal-Mart here didn't have steel shank any more.  So I had to go to Sears
and get Die-Hard brand with steel shank.  I don't climb towers without
steel shanks.

73,
Harvey, KM4JA

On 04/26/2012 02:01 AM, towertalk-request@contesting.com wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 19:45:33 -0400
> From: Randy Lake<randyn1kwf@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Boots
> To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
> Cc: towertalk@contesting.com
>
> I agree. My Asolos are perfect for tower climbing as well as mountain
> climbing. I climb R25.
>
> Randy N1KWF
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:52 AM, Jim Brown<jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>wrote:
>
>> On 4/20/2012 8:17 AM, Peter Wollan wrote:
>>> This curmugeonly dismissal of modern footwear is unnecessarily harsh.
>>> Even REI, which went consumer many years ago, sells good, real,
>>> mountaineering boots.  They're lighter, stronger, and they fit better
>>> than they used to, but they don't have steel any more.
>> Sorry, but my curmgeounly dismissal is NOT out of date.  A steel shank
>> IS critical to providing SUPPORT to the foot, and the need for such
>> support is NOT limited to WORK.
>>
>> Thanks for the advice though.  What I wear (when I can find them) are
>> heavy duty hiking boots with a steel shank, proper fit, and very good
>> comfort.  Such boots have been my every day shoes for at least 15 years.
>>
>> 73, Jim K9YC

Harvey, KM4JA
Ozark, AL