Re: [TowerTalk] Run Ropes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Run Ropes
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 12:40:37 -0400
On 5/5/2012 8:05 AM, Michael Warren wrote:
> Question:
> I have two 4 inch runs 80ft long.
> What kind, size, and  length of rope. Also where to obtain the rope. Thanks
That is basically what I have although the conduits are not parallel
runs. One from the den and one from the shop.
This is the installation of both
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm
As long as you don't more than half fill the conduit, most any braided
synthetic rope should work. Do not use twist ropes but they natural or
synthetic materials.
Use lots of cable pulling lubricant (wire soap) even if you thing it'll
go well with out it.    Double braided synthetics advertised with little
stretch , 1/4", 5/16, or even 3/8ths should work well.

I used Nylon which has more stretch than I prefer.  I used a little more
than twice the length needed  (and coil it up in the NEMA box at either
end )so I can pull from either end and don't have to worry about making
additional pulls later on.  Wire soap on the pulling rope won't hurt
anything *except* fresh soap makes it difficult to pull. It gets
slippery!  IF that happens you just wind it around your glove 2 or 3
times to get a grip.

Again, the only real don'ts are make the 90's gradual such as  a pair of
45's and do not use any rope with a twist.  Single and double braid are
fine.

73

Roger (K8RI)