[TowerTalk] cell Tower broadcasts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] cell Tower broadcasts
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 03:25:34 -0700
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 23:03:22 -0400
From: Ro Grrr <rogrrr@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cell Tower broadcasts

Mickey
You're in the working arena and I have no doubt you know what you are doing.
You've been in it for quite a few years. It's all common sense.
Can you point me to anyone in the governmental regulatory agencies who has the
same tenure and experience as you ?
I kinda doubt it. From what I have heard over the years (I'm in my 60s and have
seen "a few things") I do not know of any reg agency that specializes in what
they regulate. Call it a "CF".
Certification is one thing but beyond that, to require certs about other certs
is simply nebulous. (you have a cert and then you need to be certified that you
have a cert. Then you need another cert,,,,) Those agencies and regulators need
to be KILLED.

####  Pretty simple.  Hire folks who have been in the industry for years on
end...and know up down from sideways.

Common sense had already legislated in many cases and THAT needed to be
enforced.
Case in point - Nuclear
How many "incidents" do you hear of in the NAVY nuclear ship environment ?

###  The military doesn’t generate any revenue.  They have an unlimited  supply
of $$$.   They piss taxpayers $$$ down the drain, with very little to show for
it.

the military keeps a close rein on their nuclear environment to the point that
they have no real problems. They build and inspect it so it works and LASTS a
long time.
What about - Three mile island, chernobyl, Japan,,,, What about any of the crap
on the kalifornica fault lines ? Do you think the mil would have allowed ANY of
these to be put into practice ?

###  the military is not in the electrical power generating business.   If they
were, they would be broke in 6 months.

You DO ?

Well, I DON't !

Govt certs are nothing but a power play so those ORGs can maintain their liife.
They don't care about safety. They only care about their life and the payroll
of their people.

How do I know this ?
I retired after almost 40 years in the govt seeing how they run their games and
plan their payrolls. It's called JUSTIFICATION.

Unions are just as evil, if not more so. Safety IS ONE THING but your
organization is another thing more important than safety. And don't try to tell
me otherwise.

Unions have outlived their usefulness and we all know it. Look at how the auto
industry has come to the point of literally OWNING GM and CHRYSLER. Is it
supposed to be that way ?

####  spoken like a true dickhead.    What kind of bs   jerk run non-union
outfit are your running down there anyway.   I worked for a big telco here for
34 years.  The biggest tower we have is
600 ft tall, and thousands of smaller ones.  Nobody on the ant crew EVER  got
killed.  Safety is paramount.    The safety equipment has to be inspected on a
regular  basis...like b4 every climb.
If anybody falls,,  and the fall arrest system is employed... per the fed
regs, it has to be replaced asap.  It cant be re-used.   Everybody on the
ground gets $32.50 per hr.  Anybody that is higher than
85 feet above ground is on double time.  If wx conditions like ice or high
winds  make a job too dangerous, you don’t climb, simple as that.   If the boss
sez to climb anyway, you tell him
to F off, simple as that.    What are they gonna do, they can’t fire you.   If
they want to hire contractors or sub contractors, ALL the workers have to
unionized as well.   You cant hire non union
jerk run outfits and nobody is getting paid $10.00  per hr.     If you need
several thousand $$$  worth of safety equipment etc,  you phone some clerk, and
tell her what you require, and she orders
it for you.   Nobody cares  what it cost... you just buy it....then write it
off your income tax anyway.

##  that is not the 1st show on tower climbing either.   There was a very
similar show on about 3 years ago, and I think it too was on PBS.  Same deal,
the wife of the owner of the tower co, whining and
bitching about having to drop $1000.00  on safety equipment !    As For  free
climbing.    This outfit called the workmans compensation board.... if they
hear about it or catch you doing it, or seeing it videotaped,
you are toast my friend,   The fines levied  will make you gag. If somebody got
killed,  all hell would break loose.   You need more than one steel safety
cable running up the side of a tower.  The folks climbing the
towers need to take all the requisite courses.  If they didn’t, the wcb would
be down your throat.   The union wouldn’t tolerate it for a second.  The cell
co’s  and telcos are making tons of $$, its not like they are
short on cash.     How do you pay for all this stuff.   Pretty simple.    Pay
the union guy $32.00 per hr...on the grnd.... and double that for the union
guys up the tower.   That’s a lot cheaoer then paying a
contractor  $100.00  to $130.00  per hr.    If a contractor hires a sub
contractor, who hires somebody else..... well the cell co saves nothing, they
are still paying huge $$$.   Why pay a contractor huge $$,
when you can do it urself for a  third of that.   Then you have total control
over the situation.    It’s a win-win situation.  The job gets done on
time..safely.  Everybody is well paid, nobody gets killed, WCB is happy.
I was shop steward for 32 years.  I didn’t put up with any BS.   Yiu are only
allowed to work XXX hrs in a week.  Any more than that, and it has to be an
emergency.  Installing a new cell tower for expansion  purposes
does not constitute an emergency.

Jim  VE7RF

RoGrrr
KC8HZ