Re: [TowerTalk] Getting your moneys Worth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Getting your moneys Worth
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 23:43:17 -0400
On 6/1/2012 10:16 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
> You probably are going to put more stress on the tower by adding the
> additional weight and wind load of the extra parts Vs. cutting the brace.

Even without the rotator mounted outside I'd still have the mast and
antennas.  The extra wind load from the mast and the rotator outside the
tower (at 20') is very little.  I could get by with only one mast
section, but that would only remove 60# and it'd put the rotator at a
very inconvenient height.  Each piece of DOM has a 1/4" thick end cap
welded in place so each section is sealed  with rust preventative inside.

Each section is 24'. Both DOM and structural steel tube come in 24'
lengths.  The tower is only 50' with the mast extending 10 to 12' above
the top of the tower.

> In other words... Cut the brace.

Not a chance.  Too crude.  Besides the side load from chain tension is
spread over several feet and it's symmetrical over that area about 3 to
5 feet long, depending on where I locate the bearings.  Also if the
tower went down for some reason, my insurance company's first question
would be "Why did you cut a brace out". I'd replace the tower before
cutting a brace.

Actually, this is supposed to be temporary and replaced with a home
brew, motorized crank up with an extendible mast.  Now that's going to
take some calculations.

The vertical load from 48' of DOM is about 120# .  The side load is also
about 120# but is spread between two bearings that will be some where
between 3 and 5 feet apart.  The side plates to mount the rotator and
side thrust bearing are not very heavy.  The rotator will be pretty much
down out of the wind and protected by the West end of the shop.   The
weight and wind loadings are well within the ratings of the tower.  OTOH
once the brace is cut I have no specific strength figures to base any
calculations on even if  It is likely well within the tower ratings,

73

Roger (K8RI)