Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete tower fountains plans...some questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete tower fountains plans...some questions
From: JVarney <jvarn359@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 06:32:05 -0700 (PDT)
I know you say you don't want to deviate from Rohn's design but if I was
putting in this tower I'd be slightly apprehensive about this particular
footing design. There's no vertical steel, just the two horizontal mats. This
means that if any tension forces develop in the concrete, the tower is
depending on the tensile strength of concrete. Concrete by itself is strong in
compression but weak in tension. A lot of engineers believe the tensile
strength of concrete should be assumed to be zero because if you get a crack,
the tensile strength then becomes zero.

It could be this is an old design and Rohn has a newer design on file. It might
be worthwhile to call them and ask if they have an updated footing design with
vertical steel that forms a cage in all 3 dimensions.

A side benefit of having vertical bars is that it addresses your 2nd question
because you can wire tie the upper mat to them.

73 Jim K6OK