Re: [TowerTalk] terrain profile algorithm

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] terrain profile algorithm
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 18:38:06 -0700

I don't think it should be too hard to accomplish that.  I just looked
at it graphically and came up with this method that I would use.

a.  determine the slope between points 1 and 2

b.  extend an imaginary line through points 1 and 2 to the distance of
point 3

c.  lets assume that the separation between point 3 and the imaginary
line is greater than a defined amount, so we retain point 1 and draw a
new line passing through points 2 and 3 extending to point 4.  Check
separation from point 4 to the line, and if it's less than the allowed
amount continue the line to the next point (5 in this case).  Keep going
like this until you find the next point that is beyond the allowable
separation from the line.

d.  when you get to data point X that exceeds the allowable separation
from the line, retain the origination point of the line and data point
X-1 while discarding all points in between.  Start a new line at data
point X-1 and repeat the process.

Mathematically it would look something like sequentially comparing the
absolute value of ((Y2 - Y1)/(X2 - X1))(Xn - X1) to an allowable
elevation error and discarding the data points between (but not
including) points 1 and N-1) when the allowable error is exceeded.
Continue the procedure from data point N-1.  All resulting line segments
would be contiguous.  If you write the procedure to keep a running count
of the number of data points retained you could even set it up as a loop
that restarts the procedure with an incrementally larger allowed error
when the maximum that HFTA can handle is exceeded in order to get a best
fit within the constraints of HFTA.

I'm not sure if I explained that very well, but it would be pretty easy
for me to display graphically if you'd like.  Programming it would be
trivial for you.

73,
Dave   AB7E