Re: [TowerTalk] bonding tower sections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] bonding tower sections
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:36:08 -0400
On 6/25/2012 6:26 PM, Gregg Seidl wrote:
> I have a 60 foot stick of Rohn 25 insulated from ground. I plan on using an
> Array Solutions AS-80 tuner to resonate the vertical on 75/80 and 160. I know
> I need to get slightly more height to make it work correctly so I'm planning
> on using a TV type mast in the top "pointy" section to get more height. My
> question is should I run a peice of 12 or 14 guage wire from the mast all the
> way to the tuner and bond it to each tower section? my worry is that the
> sections and top mast may not make a good connection. Any ideas would be
> great.
> Gregg K9KL

The only spot that might be electrically weak would be the connection to
the mast out the top, but even that is unlikely.  The galvanizing and
tight fit where the legs telescope into the section above should not
present a problem.  IIRC the mast is held in place with two 3/8" bolts
which can rust. I have a flat plate top of both my 25G and 45G with
thrust bearings. so I'm not really concerned even though I do run a half
sloper for 160 on the 45G.

73

Roger (K8RI)