Re: [TowerTalk] an antenna analyzer to drool over

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] an antenna analyzer to drool over
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 17:28:06 -0700
On 7/9/12 12:56 PM, Ed Richardson wrote:
> While we are drooling, and if you want 160m, check this one out.
>
> http://www2.rohde-schwarz.com/en/products/test_and_measurement/spectrum_
> analysis/FSH4_8-|-Overview-|-100-|-6402.html
>
> Specs better than a lot of lab gear and very portable as well. Beyond
> the price range of us mortals but since we have one at work, I can
> conveniently "borrow" it on weekends. Makes tuning antennas and finding
> RFI/EMI a breeze.

Pretty cool.. Seems to be in the same general price range as the Agilent
(10-20k)..

Hey, it may be a bit pricey for the average ham today, but someday, it
will be surplus.

In reality, the modern crop of antenna analyzers (the TAPR VNA, N2PK,
the AIM, etc.) can do about as well in HF band, although they probably
don't have quite the sophistication and user interface.

These things are a heck of a lot more capable than things like the
Anritsu SiteMaster, which was quite the hot ticket for field use a few
years ago.

And a whole lot more portable than a 8510C<grin>