[TowerTalk] AIM-4170 driver issues

To: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] AIM-4170 driver issues
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:16:16 -0700
This is a long standing problem known to many people but
very poorly documented by the AIM-4170 vendor.  What you have to
do is get the executable (.exe) driver installation file from the vendor
and run the file, which installs the driver.  Attempting to install a
driver file (.inf) of any kind from device manager doesn't work.
Installing the USB chip vendor's driver doesn't work.

You should also buy the "official approved" USB serial dongle they
recommended.  I think you have to ask for the executable file, but it
may be up on the web site by now.

I've run into a fair number of computer accessories that work
this way.  If it comes with an .exe on a CD, you want to run
that before plugging it in.  The problem with the AIM-4170
is that the .exe you need does NOT come with it on a CD, you
have to know to ask for it.

I only have WinXP.  I don't know about windows 7.  It may
be that you are trying to install a 32 bit driver on a 64
bit machine.

I hope this helps.

Rick N6RK