[TowerTalk] FW: Phone pole antenna support

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Phone pole antenna support
From: "Barry Merrill, W5GN" <w5gn@mxg.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 03:51:29 -0500
At KG4CS in 1970, when phone patches were critical for the
residents, so the base gave great support to hams, as soon
as I was assigned quarters on East Bargo, I was then taken
around the base by the power guy, who pointed out the
dozen or so freestanding unused poles, so I could pick the
one I wanted.  They moved it for me and he said that poles
are set with at least 1/7th in the ground, or 14.2%.
Your 11/65 was conservative at 16.9%.

As for mounting, I just put a pulley at the top and
used it to pull up 35 feet of pipe with an inline
rotator (HAM-M?) for my 2-el three-band Joga Quad
(made in Merida, Mexico, ironwood supports, that
sloped out so each band's elements were correctly
spaced).  The pole had steps so I climbed and wrapped
"muffler" straps at three places around the pipe and
pole.

Barry, W5GN, EI/W5GN.