Re: [TowerTalk] Source for tower/vertical base insulators?

To: Jim Hoge <knowkode@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Source for tower/vertical base insulators?
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX" <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:09:31 -0400
I went through a similar search several years ago.  Then I talked to a
local ham here who had an insulated vertical.  He recommended buying
fiberglass rod about a 1/2" larger in diameter than the inner diameter
of the tower legs.  Then just turn down about 8" or so of one end of
each on a lathe so it fits into each leg.  You may have to turn down the
other ends too depending on what kind of mount you're using.  Leave a
collar of the original diameter in the centers so that the legs and
mount butt up against it.

I've used this approach for  a 107' vertical composed of a 60' Heights
aluminum tower, a 38.5' tubing stinger and an 8.5' CB whip for three
years now without any problems despite routine strong winds. at this
QTH.  A steel tower may be more demanding, so I'd recommend getting the
opinion and/or calculations from someone qualified on this forum.

73, Joe
K2XX