Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Load Spec Differences Between Tower and Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w1srd@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Load Spec Differences Between Tower and Antenna
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 13:02:51 -0400 (EDT)
>  Would like to be confident my LM-470 can handle a DB36  (17.5 sq ft
using
100 MPH EIA-222-C) .
I believe the 4 El SteppIR (9.7 sq  ft) is fine on the WT51

>  Usual caveats about crank it down in the wind already  noted. Also, the
Tashjian specs are for a *new* tower. I don't know the  vintage or
history of the LM-470 I have. It came with the  property.

    What do the current specs say? In the old days -  pre-EIA-222 -
crank-ups were rated @ 50MPH. Your tower might be that vintage.

    You didn't include enough specifics. What is  your local windspeed
rating? You can find an older EIA-222 windspeed rating for  all US counties at
_http://www.championradio.com/county.windspeed.data.html_
(http://www.championradio.com/county.windspeed.data.html) .  San Mateo County,
CA, is a 70 MPH
windspeed zone. Not a high wind area (70 MPH  is the minimum windspeed
rating) but crank-ups have to be treated with much care  wind-wise.

    You could probably get away with it but if you need  to get a building
permit, forget it.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -