[TowerTalk] Cushcraft X7 question

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft X7 question
From: jcleeve@jcleeve.free-online.co.uk
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:34:58 +0100
I aquired a Cushcraft X7 which had previously been in use for a number of
years. The antenna was delivered to me partially assembled, the ends of
the longer elements had been removed so that assembled the X7 would fit on
a flat bed truck. On re-assembling the elements, the previous positions of
the removed sections being clearly visible, I noticed that the element
lengths were shorter than those specified in the Cushcraft publication
951470 (12/97)which I had downloaded. It would appear that the previous
owner had assembled the X7 with each element reduced in overall length by
six inches. The Cushcraft X7 literature says that there is no need for
antenna tuning, and their element dimensions should be adhered to.

I have now begun the task of dismantling each element of this X7, joint by
joint, and cleaning the mating surfaces, using WD40 and an abrasive
washing up sponge, then re-assembling the elements as per Cushcraft
dimensions.

Could it be that there were two versions of the X7 manufactured? Or,
perhaps two versions of the assmbly instructions with differing element
length instructions.

Sadly, I cannot ask the previous owner, but I am curious.

John G3JVC/GM3JVC.