Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Towers

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Towers
From: "Gedas" <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 12:39:07 -0400
I have 3 Universal towers; one 50' and two 70'.  The 50' I have had up for
30 years at two different QTH's and I purchased it 2nd hand.  Who knows how
old it is.  The two 70' towers have been up for about 17 years here.  One
70' uses 2x30" bottom sections and is for the X7 and rotatable 40m dipole,
plus being an end support for wires.  The other 70' uses 3x30" sections and
is for a pair of 17B2s at 85' and a 432 and 6m yagi, as well as an end
support for wire antennas.  The 50' is just a little "scrapper tower" used
to support a 40m collinear at 70' and x-mas lights during the winter, hi-hi.

We get CRAZY high winds here at times and being surrounded by flat corn
fields in all directions seems to make that worse.  I would not own a
different tower, absolutely love the Aluminum Universal sections.  I
replaced all my hardware with the strongest SS I could find, and looking
back at it, I think that was the best move I ever made.  I have not noticed
the egging common to some.  I do not climb my towers anymore, but use to
from time to time.  I won't bore you with the details of the tilt-over
mechanisms I use here since you cannot tilt yours over.  If you like, I have
some images in the ham section at the URL below.  Good luck.

73 Gedas, W8BYA
Gallery at http://gedas.cc

Light travels faster than sound..