Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Aluminum Towers -- Tower Installer in S.F. Bay Area

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Aluminum Towers -- Tower Installer in S.F. Bay Area??
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 14:39:08 -0400
On 8/13/2012 1:10 PM, Jerry Gardner wrote:
> This is really great information. Thanks everyone! I think I have enough
> info to go ahead with an aluminum tower installation. Next step is to get
> the engineering calculations that the County requires done and submit an
> application for a building permit.
>
> After that I'll need someone to do the installation work -- does anyone
> know of a tower installer in the S.F. Bay Area? I'm having a hard time
> finding anyone local. Someone from outside the area, while a possibility,
> will drive the cost up as I'll have to pay travel expenses.

Remember that guys should attach to a bracket or saddle that fits around
the tower, not tied around each leg. If there are none made for the
particular tower then we should have the required brackets fabricated.
It will really be doing the tower a favor as it removes *all* lateral
force exerted by the guys on the tower let alone individual legs and
leaves only the vertical component. Remember when the wind is blowing
the upwind leg us the only thing resisting all that lateral force when
the guys are fastened to the tower legs instead of using a properly
designed and installed bracket.

Yes I know many of us, including me, have gotten away with fastening
guys to tower legs, but no more at least for me once I did the
calculations as to how much force the upwind leg has to withstand in
addition to the force exerted by the guys.  It only takes a little trig
to come up with some scary figures.

73 and good luck

Roger (K8RI)