Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-ups.....do NOT lubricate your cables from US tower

To: "'VE6WZ_Steve'" <ve6wz@shaw.ca>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-ups.....do NOT lubricate your cables from US tower
From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 20:01:04 +0100
Steve,
     This is most interesting as I have a friend who is just now installing
a US Tower Crank up.    In EI land we tend to lubricate our cables with
heavy grease and keep them lubricated.   A friend who deals in towers here
(not US tower tells me that if people replaced cables every three years he
would be a rich man.    The typical period is more like thirty years.)   I
fall into this category but I try not to fully support my towers on the wire
ropes.    I have three crank up towers thirty to forty years old.   One of
them is designed to be stayed and its two forty foot long extending sections
rest on heavy steel bars when the tower is cranked up.

     I suspect that if one lived in the American South West then the sand
that would lodge on a greased cable would be problematic.   This is not the
problem in EI land.   We are more concerned with rain and yes we get some
soft bugs on a recently greased cable but they tend to wash off and do not
appear to cause difficulty.   I suspect that if one was next to the salt
water then grease would be even more beneficial but of course I do not know
this and I am outside my field of expertise.   So please just take this as
personal experience and comment and not advice.

      Thank you for your post.

             73 Doug EI2CN