Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Cable Lubrication - invasive methods to lubricate

To: NormA <npalex@aol.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Cable Lubrication - invasive methods to lubricate the bearings.
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 08:58:02 -0500
On 9/6/12 7:30 AM, NormA wrote:
> Chas,
>
> I didnot suggest putting in azerkfitting for two reasons, one was I
> didnot wantto drill that large ahole,and the problemof tapping
> forzerkthreads,  The other reasonwas I oftenjust squirtedoilinto the
> bearareahoping for betterinfusion.  Then grease to help reduceany
> waterintrusion.  I have also made up a newflattened dispenser Tipfor my
> oilcanthat slipsinbetween the sheaveand pulleyand dispenses oilaround the
> bearing,  Thisworkswell for mostpulleys on the US 589tower s.  I still.  I

Zirk fittings come in a thousand dimensions with some of them being self
tapping for sheet metal.  it is a matter of finding a chart with dimensional
information, isfa diam of body, thread type, thread body length, etc.

the problem here is that the protruding length (the height it stands proud of
the external surface of the bearing body) has to be carefully noticed to
avoid rubbing against the sheave straps or whatever they are called.

I am interested in  your specialty tool although that method would not be as
useful in preventing water, dust, and other foreign material intrusion as the
Zirk  BUT -- an additional use is to retain lube from being SLUNG out thru
centrifugal force.  However, the pulley on a tower is going to be quite slow
in its rotation by necessity.

I do appreciate your response, it was quite educational to say the least.

73 es thx de chas k5dam

--

 PLEASE REMEMBER TO DELETE HEADERS!