Re: [TowerTalk] Phased vertical elevated radial configuration

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phased vertical elevated radial configuration
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 21:42:42 -0700
On 9/7/2012 7:51 PM, Chuck Gerarden wrote:
I have read in ON4UN's book
that the radials should be offset from each other and not connected
between each vertical. Can any one confirm this?

As it happens, I have a similar installation here -- a 115 ft tower with sloping wires insulated from the tower and fed from the bottom against four elevated radials for each vertical. I feed one or the other, but not both. NEC shows some interaction between them, which I am controlling by shorting the feedline of the unused antenna in the shack, making the feedline a shorted stub. LOTS of NEC modeling went into this. :) The radials are installed as ON4UN recommends -- no connection between the two verticals.

My radials are elevated about 16-18 ft (3 ft at the feedpoint, rising gull-wing style as the leave the feedpoint). I originally installed them at about 4 ft, and the efficiency was poor. This summer I raised them and the efficiency seems better. Since the tower is a passive reflector (thanks to a SteppIR and a 22 ft 2M Yagi on an 8 ft mast on top), I have eight on-ground radials on it, and may add more. The tower and its radials are grounded, the elevated radials are not.

73, Jim K9YC