[TowerTalk] Fw: Importance of feed line length

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: Importance of feed line length
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:43:26 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Importance of feed line length

Another way to appease your transmitter, if the transmission line SWR is too high, is to vary the transmission line length by fractions of a wavelength. This doesn't actually improve the SWR on the line but will change the impedance where it terminates into the transmitter. I built a box with 2,4, and 8 foot (physical, not electrical) lengths of RG-213 that, with relays,can be selected in 2 foot increments from 2 to 14 feet that I use for various applications, including "line flattening" and phase adjusting (e.g. with phased arrays). The approach of changing line length can also be helpful if the SWR is high enough so it's outside the range of an "antenna tuner". The lengths I use at too short to be much help on the low frequency bands but good for 10-20 maters.(If your radio has a built in tuner and the 80 meter SWR is too high you could try inserting additional coax in 10-20 foot increments.)
Gene / W2LU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>