Re: [TowerTalk] Nec PDF

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Nec PDF
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:06:58 -0400
On 09/13/12 01:00 am, Jim Lux wrote:

You have to buy it. They are about $100.00 You may be able to find an
older used one on Amazon.com

There are a variety of ones as pdf on the web, as the NEC in various
versions has been adopted as the local code. California Title 24 is an
older version of the NEC..
http://public.resource.org

Unless you just want to look up a section or two, where the pdfs work
fine, if you want to *use* the code, I'd recommend getting the version
with all the commentary and explanations. $150 ish for the latest one.

You can probably find one that is 1 or 2 revs out of date (every 3
years)..not a huge amount changes.

Recently, there's been lots of changes in things like solar panels.
Grounding/bonding is pretty much the same for the last 10-15 years.
Three phase neutrals had a big change about 20 years ago.

Obviously, if you're in the business as an electrician or Engineer, you
need the latest one.

You also need to be able to interpret it "correctly" (i.e., the same as your local code enforcement people interpret it). There is a forum on the Web ("Mike Holt" is the name I recall) where professionals debate how this section relates to or contradicts that section and which of two similar but different rules applies in some particular situation. Mere mortals can subscribe to that forum and read the discussions but are not allowed to participate: I tried asking a question once and was told: "Call an electrician."

Alan NV8A