[TowerTalk] Brown colored galvanized surface?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Brown colored galvanized surface?
From: "Mark, K5ER" <k5er@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:07:31 -0500
He Steve,
Here in the Gulf South, sometimes on vertical tower but pretty often on horizontal sections waiting to be stacked, that brownish haze appears. Mostly, it is associated with proximity to hardwood trees, particularly Oaks. The galv surface is rarely compromised underneath. Comes off fairly easily with a pressure washer, but sometimes, when its been there for a few years we need to use something like a milk can brush. Everybody remembers what that is, right?

73,
Mark, K5ER

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    On lots of old galvanized towers sometimes you wind  up with a brownish
colored surface. Can anyone tell me what it is? It's not rust  but
something else. Just curious. Tnx.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC