Re: [TowerTalk] Question about ground

To: Matt Fearnow <mfearnow@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question about ground
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 12:35:29 -0400
On 9/14/2012 12:10 PM, Matt Fearnow wrote:
Hey one final question.  Should I tie in my copper water pipe to this
ground as well?

Here it's required by code even though the pipe is copper only to the basement wall and becomes plastic from there on out to the main at the road. Actually the only metal in the water system is the meter and the hot water heater (at opposite ends of the house) and both must be grounded. All pipes in the house are plastic. I was surprised I didn't have to ground the faucets<:-))

Copper, all the way to the road makes a better ground than the ground rods just outside the entrance.

73

Roger (K8RI)

  It runs from the road to the house (~100') buried 8ft
deep 3/4 copper.  My only other thoughts, is this also ties in to my
whole house with ground, meaning not sure of the back tie of the
electrical properties of doing this.  But reading the motorola
commercial installation it says to tie all grounds together.

Thanks getting close to being on the air.

73 - Matt - W9SIG

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM, K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net