[TowerTalk] FW: AN Wireless tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: AN Wireless tower
From: "KM5VI" <km5vi@flukey.cc>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:43:50 -0500
Nice explanation & spot-on.

KM5VI

-----Original Message-----
From: TowerTalk [mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of KR7X
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:30 PM
To: 'David Gilbert'; towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AN Wireless tower

Dave:

The comment was meant to make you think about what you purport to say is
true when it is not, in the context you use.

Concrete does indeed have pores and they are very small in relationship to
the volume of the sample you consider and do not necessarily line up to form
a conduit for moisture intrusion. Concrete is also alkaline which tends to
inhibit acidic attack and sulfate ion corrosion. The full reason that there
is a requirement for the spacing of the reinforcement is to help with the
moisture intrusion from micro cracking which takes place when the concrete
cures and resists loads. This is also the reason that the code clear cover
differs from concrete cast against soil (3"), cast in form exposed to
atmosphere (2"), and cast in form and indoor exposure or top of slab
(varying from 1 1/2" to 1" depending on bar size).

The moisture does not travel through pores, it will travel through micro
cracks. These cover  values were determined over the years by examining the
in place behavior of real work concrete in various climates, locations, and
types of structures or purposes. Curious thing about concrete is for it to
work as a design intends it has to crack (very small and not always in
organized pattern), this means that the load is being resisted and the
forces ( stresses) are be resisted. It is these cracks that the cover
requirements are meant to mitigate so that free air and moisture do not
reach the reinforcing which would tend to corrode. When the bars corrode
they swell and further crack the concrete exposing more and more surface to
the free air and moisture and so on.

Not pores (or porosity as you allude to).

Your treated wood example is also not quite accurate, treated wood for floor
plates is due to the fact that the inside of stud walls have varying
humidity due to the moisture content of the wood framing members when it is
originally constructed. The inside wall covering and the more modern used of
a vapor barrier (TyWrap) on the outside over the base exterior siding under
the outside finish effectively seal the wall cavity and there is (due to
temperature differentials) a tendency for the moisture to collect at the
base of the wall. The treated plate  helps the wall maintain is integrity at
the base by resisting rot (dry and otherwise) and/or  softening so the wall
does not pull away from the required hold down anchors or bolts when loaded
laterally.

I see that you have your beliefs and concepts about why things are required
and I have mine and it is probably best that this discussion be taken off
this reflector so a more tower specific topic can be addressed.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Inc.
H. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E.
Principal