Re: [TowerTalk] F12 Delta 240 performance observation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F12 Delta 240 performance observation
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:04:59 -0400
Hi Jonathan - something is likely wrong, but you would need to make a number of other tests to be sure, because arrival angles of signals vary. It is conceivable that your DX station was arriving at an angle where the antenna's F/B ratio is much less than the quoted peak. If it is an assembly issue, then maybe you used the driven element dimensions on the reflector

N6BT's Array of Light makes a very interesting point about yagis - (I'll try to paraphrase) that the driven element's role is to inject RF into the array, while the parasitic element's length determines the directivity. Tune your radio too far above the optimum frequency, and a reflector won't do its job very well. Tune too far below and the length of the reflector will turn it into a director.

I was having a lot of trouble getting my F12 EF-240S to work well. At Tom's suggestion, I think, I set up my MFJ-259B antenna analyzer with coax to a short antenna some 300 feet from my yagi. Tuning the analyzer with the antenna pointed away from this signal source, I could very clearly see both phenomena described above. The antenna reversed at 7.1 MHz, making it clear that my reflector was much too short. Moving the shorting bars quickly moved the "flipping point" comfortably below 7 MHz, and put the best F/B ratio in the middle of the CW segment where I wanted it.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000