[TowerTalk] Green Heron RT-21/21D Rotor Controllers

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "k7hph@q.com" <k7hph@q.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Green Heron RT-21/21D Rotor Controllers
From: SPWoo <jj_2_woo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 08:59:31 -0700 (PDT)
I'm quite happy with mine along with the Orion 2800.  The only thing you need
to watch for is the pulse divider setting for the 2800.  It's either 3960 or
4015.  Mine came programmed to 4015 and it was causing over-rotation when I
tested it on the kitchen table.  I called Jeff and he told me to use 3960 and
it worked fine.  However I had a friend who purchased another new Orion and he
was told by Orion to use 4015.  I don't understand why the pulse setting would
be different on two different units produced in the same year.  Perhaps other
2800 owners could chime in on this.  Below in an excerpt from the controller
manual.  Jeff added this in after my conversation with him on this subject.

NOTE: The correct pulse divider may be 3960 or 4015 for your rotator based on a
gear in the rotator. Our current software uses 4015, but this may not be exactly
correct for yours. The difference between 3960 and 4015 is only barely
noticeable at
the extreme ends of rotation as an error of about 2 ½ degrees. If yours is off
by this
amount at the endpoints, simply use the other divide number and then reset the
SETUP/CALIBRATE to match the current heading.

Best Regards,
Jonathan Woo
(970) 646-1711