[TowerTalk] Waterpipe Mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Waterpipe Mast
From: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 19:59:08 -0400 (EDT)
I put up two R-25 towers for FD.
Both are basically junk, bought locally when things were taken down.
I brushed some and painted with galvanizing paint...Crown, works well, as far
as I can see so far.
Masts are EMT or tubing from old swing sets.  Both work fine, but I only go a
couple feet above the top.
I use pointy tops, so no bearings are needed.
PVC pipe makes a very effective, non abrading, shim/bearing in one.
I use long masts and put the rotors near ground level (10'), for easy
connection/adjustment.
Both towers are on tilt bases.  One on a 16' trailer and one pinned down with
two 4' rebars with nuts welded on for stops.
Both are guyed with 3/8" or 1/2" rope.
The 40' one is raised with a winch and wooden falling derrick on the trailer.
The 30' one is just pinned down and manhandled up.
I carry both on the trailer, in three 20' sticks and one 10' section.
In use three years now and really suitable for emergency use anywhere.
Wilson
W4BOH