Re: [TowerTalk] If you had a choice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] If you had a choice
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:13:31 -0500
That is correct. We used a Force-12 1:1 bead balun (i.e. common-mode choke) on all of the other antennas, including the reference dipole, except for the KT-34XA which came with a 4:1 balun/transformer.

There are a number of stations with good signals, using Mosley beams. Most notably, K4RO has a pair of them and does quite well. He also has an extraordinary ridge-top location and has taken great pains to locate the antennas and towers to take advantage of that location. As in real estate - location, location, location. I used a Mosley Classic 36 at W0EEE for years, myself, with pretty good results.

The Mosley manual we had with the loaned PRO-57B (I think it was a B model) gave specific instructions how to construct the coax pigtail and said specifically not to use any additional devices at the feed point. It has been a long time since we did the tests (11 years, I think) and it is quite likely that the manual has been changed to recommend a common-mode choke. I would applaud that change as good practice. Feed line interaction could have certainly affected the results on one or more bands. We followed the rule of doing what the manufacturer said to do.

73, Ward N0AX