[TowerTalk] My Station Set up

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] My Station Set up
From: Rick Scott <w7psk@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:10:35 -0800 (PST)
I guess I should have given a little background.

Im suffering from severe RFI from my neighborhood, especially from 30 meters
down through 80 where its unbearable.  Makes the bands sort of useless.  I have
noise on the higher bands but its bearable.

I had the power company come out and try to find it as it sounded like power
line buzz to me on AM.  But they ruled it out.  So they no longer will help.
The ARRL has a volunteer that contacted me but after discussing the station, he
wants me to fix a couple of issues he doesnt like before we go RF sniffing. He
said legally with the FCC I need to correct these in case we have to file a
complaint.

My House is sort of a H shape with one leg off the H so sort of chair shaped.
My room is midway though the longer side of the chair.  I have no access hole
out of the room to direct outside, and as we put up new siding the XYL is not
keen on me popping a hole there.  The Bathroom sits to one end and I had access
to behind the tub so I ran my Coax down that access and across the crawlspace
(which actually slopes) and out the air vents. You can stand in the crawl space
on the bedroom end opposite the bathroom from my room. So driving a rod would
be ok under the tub area.  However my land is Rock filed and very difficult to
drive a full 8 feet down, it just depends on the area.

We rarely get lightning here, maybe 1 or 2 a year.

My antennas are a Ground mounted Vertical with 16 25' radials and a 4ft ground
rod (rocks would only allow that deep).  Also I have a glen martin Roof tower
right above the shack, which does not have a ground wire attached as I figured
that would be 25 ft or so of ground wire and wouldn't be effective.

The ARRL rep (an electrical engineer) said i need to drive an 8ft rod below my
room and run 2ga down to it.  I was going to get a bus bar from the big box to
connect the shack equip to this ground.

He also suggested I put 2 more 4ft grounds around the vertical.

So that is what Im working with.