[TowerTalk] Crankup Tower Question - Damage Assessment

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crankup Tower Question - Damage Assessment
From: Jim Venneman <wx6v@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:14:24 -0800 (PST)
Good morning,

I have a quick question about my tower. I'm just looking for advice.

I had a little incident with my crank-up tower last night and just need to know
if there is anything I should be aware of. As I was cranking the tower down, I
didn't notice in the dark that a piece of pvc from another antenna hanging next
to the tower inserted itself into the tower a little bit. I also didn't notice
that the tower stopped coming down for a moment, but when the pvc snapped, the
tower dropped suddenly for about a foot. The winch handle spun around at
lightning speed and broke two bones in my left hand.

I'm just curious if this "dropping" action may have caused any problems with
the
tower that I should look for - such as an issue with the winch cable or the
winch itself. A visual inspection of the tower and cable so far doesn't reveal
anything obvious and the tower still goes up and down OK. Still, I don't really
know what to look for in the way of any other potential problems.

Thanks for any and all suggestions other than being more aware of what's going
on next time :>)

Jim  -WX6V-