Re: [TowerTalk] Noisy US Tower HDX572mdpl

To: "Pete Raymond" <n4kwpete@centurylink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noisy US Tower HDX572mdpl
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 11:31:25 -0600
I don't have a US Tower, but my Tri-Ex LM470 occasionally will do that. In my case, it has always been a windy day, and while the tower doesn't lean with wind, the sections do move slightly downwind. If things are a little off-balance, and the tower is mostly extended, I will sometimes notice the binding action you describe. So, when you have this situation, are the winds calm?

If this still happens on a windy day, you probably have sections binding, or a pulley which is not rotating. The idea of lubricating the sections kind of sounds like band-aid to me...that banging/jerky phenomena is something binding with considerable force. I suggest a thorough inspection of all the tower sections and hardware, a lube of all the pulleys, and also attention to the wire rope cables, as they are clearing having a lot of load presented to them.

Good luck & 73

dan
dk0an

-----Original Message----- From: Pete Raymond