[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing, and questions...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing, and questions...
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:55:27 -0800
Hi all,

Well the tower project is coming along well...  I have the following in
hand:

1.  Approved Permit
2.  Tower, TX-438
3.  Rebuilt TT-2 Rotor and Control box from Norm's
4.  Replacement lift cable from US Tower
5.  J-Bolts for TX-438 from US Tower
6.  Hinged base for TX-438
7.  Fence in place to keep the neighbors out
8.  A person who does tower installs and concrete for a living.
9.  A person with a backhoe to dig the hole
10. Copper Sheet for tower base cable connects, and home ingress.
11. Outside enclosure for the coax ingress to underground runs to house.
12. Some serious ground straps.

I need:
1.  Six ten foot ground rods.
2.  More #4 copper wire for grounding.
3.  Cadweld thingys...
4.  Rebuild the A3S and decide on a 40 or 30 Meter dipole for it.
5.  Decide what type of pipe to use to hold the antenna up on the tower.

All I need now is to re-locate the tower from the original permit
location, (should not be a problem), I need to move it closer to the
house so as to not tick off all of the neighbors in the back lot area.
I put up a fence, and they were less than pleased, so I will appease
them and move the tower where they can't see it.

This leaves me with a few questions:

1.  Do I need a thrust bearing?  Should I have one?  I assume from what
I have read, that the thrust bearing holds up the mast which the antenna
is connected to, thus removing all of the downward force from the rotor.

2.  Any tips on re-threading the tower lift cable?  It looks very
simple, and has only one fold back...  The tower is only two sections,
so the cable path is pretty easy to follow.

3.  Should I beeswax the tower where the inside section can contact the
outside section while it is down?

4.  Any other hints etc., before I actually start putting this thing up?

5.  Any suggestions on lubing the hoist?

--
73's and Thanks,
Dave