Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM-240 Failure
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:02:59 -0500
The EF240X was up about 8 years (a couple of hurricanes, a few Nor'easters, didn't survive the tornado). I never had trouble with the C3 I had. The EF240X elements are a bit bigger than the C3 and have a linear loading scheme (2 aluminum wires that go from about 3/4 of the element to tie points about 12 inches above the boom and the tie point is about 8 inches wide IIRC). Only one of the two elements was affected. Just a guess, but perhaps a wind resonance problem (ever see the Tacoma Narrows bridge crash? c 1940). Over time the repeated stress causes a failure. Of course, in your case of only 2 months that is quite short for stress failure unless there were defective parts to begin with. The EF240X had 4 good sized rivets on each side of the U shaped boom to element piece. The holes on both sides of the boom were worn to a vertical length of about 3 times the rivet diameter but horizontally the holes were only a bit larger than the rivet diameter.

I replaced the rivets with 1/4-20 (or was it 5/16-18) SS bolts and had to put in a new boom piece of course.

73, Larry  W6NWS
-----Original Message----- From: D. Drake