Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Ideas

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Ideas
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 12:17:27 -0700
Remember that my excellent results were in Minnesota, not Arizona where I
now am.

I don't know whether I've solved the Arizona part; that experiment is
coming!

This reference, though:  http://w4rnl.net46.net/fdim4.html    . . . seems
worth reading in general.  I think someone mentioned it, but here's a link
to it.

Larry Wo0Z

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM, <TexasRF@aol.com> wrote:

> **
> Larry, your excellent results suggest that you have already solved the
> "desert radial" problem!
>
> On the unworkable 80m feed problem, that is easily solved by use of a
> parallel tuned circuit from the base feed point to ground. The antenna is
> connected to the hot end of the tuned circuit and the 50 ohm feed is
> connected to one of the inductor turns near the bottom. The coax shield and
> cold end of the tuned circuit are connected to ground of coarse.

But, though I do not have the length required, there apparently is an
alternative where you simply shorten the horiziontal "L" element and reduce
the feedpoint impedence on 80 to something more reasonable (more easily
matched perhaps?).  It allegedly still worked on 160 and the other bands
that it discussed.

This was in an article that emphasized having a suite of switchable antenna
tuners at the antenna base of the "L" for each band you wished.  That would
let you turn the 160 inverted "L" into some sort of multi-band array.  I
should look for that article and post it up.  It had extensive analysis of
the match requirements for all the bands and the band patterns (which, as
you might expect, started being "multi-lobe" on the higher bands).

That said, if your match works, it works.  No quarrel with that!