Re: [TowerTalk] yagi f/b and rx s/n

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] yagi f/b and rx s/n
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 09:52:36 -0500
On 1/13/2013 9:27 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
It depends...

If reducing QRM and QRN from other directions than your beam heading
produces a higher signal to signal plus noise ratio than optimizing for
max forward gain then minimizing the side and back lobes is the best
choice.

We are looking st 20 - 10 where, "to me" gain is far more important than f/s. Depending on your location you my have a problem with signals out of the main lobe. It's not normally a problem on those bands in Central Michigan.

OTOH below those frequencies f/b and f/s become much more important. Even arrival angle becomes more important for DX, particularly on the lower frequencies. A 1/4 wave vertical knocks down close in signals and does better on DX for 40 and 75 at least for me. I could work stations on the 40 m vertical that were covered up on the dipole.

So "to me" on 20 - 10 and on average, it depends on your location, type of operating, and antenna height. Reguardless of which you choose, there will be times when the other choice would have been better. Still for the *average* operation and the small differences between the two configurations on these bands I doubt you would be able to see the difference. A DXpedition would be something else.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

-----Original Message----- From: Barry N1EU